Kingscote PopulationKingscote has a population of about 2000.
Kingscote LocationSituated on the shores of the beautiful Nepean Bay, Kingscotewith a panoramic view of the boat-studded harbour, Kingscote is the commercial and business hub of the Island. To the north there are steep cliffs that descend steeply to Reeves Point (old Kingscote), one of the most important heritage sites in South Australia. On the Southeast of the town, a steep rise provides a good vantage point for views over the town, the bay and Western Cove. To the Southwest is Brownlow. The Kingscote Yacht Club is midway between Kingscote and Brownlow. The rise gives way to beach and swampland near the mouth of the Cygnet River where birds nest and breed.
Situated on the northeast tip of the Island, this delightful seaside village provides an attractive welcome for visitors arriving on the Sealink ferries. With a commanding view of the mainland, just 18km across Backstairs Passage, Penneshaw is the community centre for Dudley Peninsula. Visitors to Penneshaw are well serviced with places to eat and purchase all they require. The Whistle Stop Café and the Penneshaw Hotel are just a couple of great places to eat at Penneshaw.
Kingscote HistoryIt was the first settlement in South Australia in 1836. There was some idea about it becoming the new free colony's Capital. A shortage of reliable fresh water ended this thought and the migrants that survived the rigours of the trip from England and the hardships faced on Kangaroo Island, moved to what is now known as Adelaide.
At Rennie's Bluff near Reeves Point stands a Mulberry tree which was planted by the original immigrants. It still bears fruit. Around the location of the tree is a cemetery and lots of historical information. Up the road from this point is the Hope Cottage Museum. Hope Cottage is the remaining cottage out of a set of three identical cottages named 'Hope', 'Faith' and 'Charity' built in the 1850's by the Calnan brothers. Exhibits depict the pioneering history of Kingscote and Kangaroo Island.
First named 'Angas', after George Fife Angas, one of the colony's founders. An argument resulted in it being named 'Kingscote' after Henry Kingscote, another of the founders. Locals believe that another name the town was known by was 'Queenscliffe'. But this is unsourced information at this time. There are 2 hotels in the town. One is the 'Queenscliffe' locally known as the 'Queenie' and the other one the 'Ozone'.
Kingscote was an important port until the 1990's, with ferry and freight services coming here. In the early days, the basalt and bricks for the road which was built between Port Adelaide and the new town of Adelaide were shipped from here.
Kingscote FacilitiesKingscote is the Island's capital and a bright, bustling town. It is the centre of trade and commerce with banks, extensive shopping and services. A comprehensive guide to the attractions, activities and interesting walks is available from the Information Centre, shops and accommodation houses. It boasts several retail shops where groceries, clothing, shoes and souvenirs can be obtained. 2 hardware stores, 2 petrol stations and 2 banks with ATM facilities, can also be found here. There are a variety of other services and amenities to cater for the local and visitor needs. There are 2 art galleries in the town as well - both offer artworks of various types produced by local artists.
The well staffed Kangaroo Island General Hospital and Health Centre are located to the North of the jetty and overlook yachts and fishing vessels that dot the water. Fishing is excellent from the jetty and the larger fishing vessels use this port facility to off load their catches.The jetty nearly always yields a feed of fish for the keen and patient angler. Tommy ruff, garfish, King George whiting and snook are the most commonly caught